20 March 2008

Mito 1 - 0 Kofu

Mito took its first win of the season by defeating Kofu at home, thanks to forward Arata's first professional goal.

Unfortunately, I was at work and unable to even go to the game, let alone do the normal tasks at the stadium. I got home just in time to see the after game show and see the highlights. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing on a replay.

Unfortunately, the weather in Mito today was pretty extreme and many people seemed scared to go to the stadium. Attendance was just over 1500 people.

This result puts Mito above Kofu in the standings, and also Kusatsu and Tokushima, all of whom have yet to see a win in the first 3 games. Mito is now 12th in the league, tied with Shonan Bellmare in goal difference. Seeing the quality of opponents Mito has in the first five games of the season, most expected the team to have no chance to take points until the 6th game vs. Kumamoto. This win is very big, and along with the showing in the last two games, shows that the team can be a force in the division this year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great win, Vendo. Early days yet, of course, but it looks like J2 is shaping up a little differently from how a lot of people thought pre-season, what with Mito, Kumamoto and Gifu all picking up early wins and Ehime getting some good results too. Any general observations?

Unknown said...

Generally it seems to me that the ability of J2 is on the whole greatly improved compared to last year, and it shows that teams investing in promising youth are reaping more reward for their money than teams taking on expensive players.

I may be a bit biased but of all the teams considered lower tier in these past 3 games, Mito seems the most surprisingly impressive. Considering the quality of play vs. the strength of the opponents, I've been more than pleasantly surprised.

Kusatsu and Tokushima seem stagnant and little improved from last year, and appear to be more of a thrown together group than a cohesive team as the other clubs have displayed.

richy said...

Hey Vendo, again, congrats on the good win.
I`d probably have to agree with you that Mito are looking the better of the lower tier teams thus far. Gifu's result was a real 'freak' result, a great one, but the game against Tokushima this week will be a good test of where they're at so far this year. I actually think that Roasso have the potential to be a lot more dangerous than Gifu.
But I think that for all these teams, including Ehime, the confidence that they have gained from taking these wins will be invaluable for the next little while.
can't wait for this weeks games!

NipponBasse said...

Vendo, sanfrecce-mito are shown live at www.myp2p.eu if u want to see it :) perhaps u have access to see it on tv though, or going to the stadium;)

hope u can put up a similar result as u did against Kofu last round!

cheers

Unknown said...

I'm hoping you just saw the most exciting game of this young season, and I'm wishing that last 15 seconds didn't exist...

I watch all games I can't attend live on satellite TV. Even now, I am watching Gifu - Tokushima on the left side of the TV, with the PC monitor shown on the right half via split screen. No matter what I have to do, I do what I have to to catch all the games I can!